So, okey, it’s my turn to tell the tips! Since, I already took the NMAT. I’ll make the tips simple as possible.
WHAT is NMAT
National medical admission test- consist of 2 parts. The test in the morning tests your Verbal Skills, Perceptual Acuity, Quantitative Skill, and Inductive Reasoning. The afternoon test consist of Physics, Chemistry, Biology, and Social Science.
Years/Months before NMAT
1. THE MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL: STUDY WELL IN YOUR UNDERGRADUATE LIFE. Most of the question are thought in the undergraduate subject, if you are enrolled in a pre-medicine program. This is highly applicable for the test in the afternoon. YOU CANNOT, remember, YOU CANNOT study the four big subject in the matter of weeks or days. It would be your best weapon if can retain your previous topics. You would have to review it when the NMAT is nearing.
2. Last minute cramming can’t help you. Trust me.
3. Build on your weakness. The first part is something that you can’t totally review, you need to enhance your skill. For perceptual acuity and inductive reasoning, PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE. For quantitative part, review BASIC MATH. It seems idiotic but you’ll be surprise on how you don’t know how to answer simple math question that you can answer in high school. For verbal part, it helps to be a wide reader because some of the words are highfalutin that seems to not exist.
4. Don’t neglect your strengths. Do not be overconfident on what you think is the easiest for you.
5. Pay early for the registration so you may download the practice set. IT IS A MUST TO ANSWER THE PRACTICE SET! The practice set may not be like the one in your exam proper but it gives you the idea on how to answer and what to expect on the test proper. Some say that usually, the practice set is very similar to the exam but mine wasn’t so I am not really sure.
6. CREATE a strategy. It seems weird that you would create a strategy but it is helpful to create what part of the test to take first, how many minutes to give (you may not follow what the proctoc say about the advise time), and strategize what items to leave blank then return if it takes ample of time. This would give you an edge in time management. I tell you, TIME IS GOLDEN when taking the NMAT. Some finish ahead while many do not. Many considers the exam time pressured.
7. NMAT IS NOT ONLY AN INTELLIGENCE TEST. Take it very seriously especially if you are so confident on the part 2. You will be ranked according to percentile, who got the highest or lowest. Afterwards, the said rank will be given to ALL medical schools in the Philippines.
8. AIM HIGH. Don’t mind the people if they say the coveted 99+ is too high!
Tips the night or days and during before the NMAT
1. SLEEP WELL AND PROPERLY.
2. DO NOT STUDY THE NIGHT BEFORE. DO NOT!!!! or even in the break
3. Eat breakfast and bring packed lunch. Believe the stall and fast food will be filled with long lines during the exam.
4. Bring water, watch, jacket, eraser. sharpener and 2 pencils.
5. it is alright to be nervous but don’t let it overwhelm you. Channel it to a positive emotion and hope.